for Portrait Sessions:
- Simplicity is the keynote.
- Solid colors are best. Avoid large or bold patterns and bright colors. They draw attention away from the face. See photos on right ->. Though dated they still make the point.
- Long sleeve dresses and shirts are recommended. They draw attention away from the arms and focus it on the face. (Short sleeves are acceptable for infants and small children).
- Coordinate your attire from head to toe, carefully selecting appropriate shoes and stockings, as you’ll likely be photographed full length.
- Darker clothing tends to minimize body size, and light tones tend to emphasize body size.
- Relatively traditional clothes stand the test of time.
- Necklines are important. A vee or scoop neck is best if your neck is short and your face is full. A high necked garment is more flattering if your neck is longer and your face is slender.
- Dress everyone in a similar style of clothing. Color coordination lends harmony to the portrait. Do not mix casual and formal attire.
- Keep the tonal range of clothing within the group the same. Do not mix light and dark values. Save patterns for accent items like scarves and neckties.
- To assure a successful portrait, it is not a bad idea to bring along one or two additional clothing choices.
During the Session, please avoid bringing hand-carried items – purses, bags, etc.
Nothing in your hands is best to avail of spontaneous photo-opps.
Also, avoid bulky items being visible in pockets.
We look forward to your Portrait Session!